20 Unexpected Gothic Literature Dissertation Ideas
Gothic literature is a genre that was founded in England in the 18th century. People called it this way because most scenes of its novels took place in large mansions in the Victorian style. The authors tried to reveal societal problems by using dreadful themes and supernatural elements. If you need to write a dissertation, first of all you should find a strong topic, since it is the first step to create your dissertation project. Look through the following 20 ideas for your paper to come up with a good topic in this kind of literature.
- What do haunted houses symbolize in the works of Edmundson and Wallace?
- How do Gothic themes reflect problems of the Victorian society?
- What is the significance of monsters in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and The Hound of the Baskervilles?
- What kind of attitude did the Victorian authors have towards science and progress?
- How are domestic relationships reflected in the novels of the Victorian period?
- What do vampire women characters symbolize in Dracula?
- What is the significance of a vampire bite?
- How was sexuality represented in Carmilla and Dracula?
- What was the attitude of the Victorians towards sexuality and how did it affect the figure of Dracular?
- Why dark characters like vampires, ghosts, or monsters are important elements of Gothic literature novels and short stories?
- Why do authors focus on complicated characters whose morality is often questioned?
- What is the contribution of short stories by Edgar Poe to Southern Gothic literature?
- What is impact of Edgar Poe’s the dark style on the modern literature?
- The differences between styles of Edgar Poe and Nathaniel Hawthorne.
- What features are making Gothic literature different from romance and horror?
- How did societal fears reflect in the works of Tim Burton?
- How did Gothic culture influence music, films and literature in the 20th century?
- What are the modern examples of the Gothic novels?
- Why do authors of the Victorian period use supernatural themes in their works?
- What is the significance of using mentally unstable personalities in revealing the problems of the world around them?
As soon as you have picked the topic that suits most to your dissertation project, you should conduct a background investigation and check whether you can find enough materials to create a worthy work that can help you obtain your academic degree.